The Carlton, O'Connell Street. The cinema opened on 16 April 1938 with the first film, The Awful Truth. It was built on the site of the first Carlton Cinema (1915–1936). There was seating for 1,500 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. In 1956, the cinema held the European premiere of Rock Around the Clock and it played to packed houses for three weeks. Currently vacant.
The Capitol Theatre, located just off O'Connell Street, Dublin, began life on 10 August 1920 as the La Scala Theatre and Opera House. Despite its name, the La Scala was a cinema. Paramount Pictures took over the lease on the building and renamed it the Capitol. The last stage show was on 29 October 1953. The Capitol continued as a cinema until 1972.
404 Not Found
Corinthian Cinema, Eden Quay, 1971 The Corinthian Cinema opened in 1921. It was nicknamed the 'Ranch' because of the number of Westerns it showed. The Corinthian closed in July 1975 but in October of the same year it re-opened as a two screen cinema called the Odeon. In 1987 it changed its name yet again to the Screen. The cinema closed its doors for the final time in 1993.
Theatre De Luxe, Camden Street , Dublin
Former Theatre De Luxe Cinema Theatre in Dublin. Ireland. Out of use as a cinema since the mid 1970's, it has since been used as a snooker club and more recently converted to a hotel and bar complex. The film "The Commitments" was partly filmed in the various snooker halls converted from the original cinema. Photo 2006.
The Metropole Cinema, Townsend Street, 1977 The 'New' Metropole Cinema was built on the site of two former cinemas, 'The Cinema Royal' and 'The Coffee Palace'. The New Metropole Cinema was the successor to the Metropole in O'Connell Street. It opened in March 1972. It later changed its name to the Screen Cinema.
1938 – Former Aldephi Cinema, Abbey Street, Dublin
Architect: W.R. Glen Open until the early 1990s, the Adelphi was demolished and part of its façade retained to provide car parking for the expanded Arnott’s Department Store. Not only was the…
Cinema building and the Strongest Woman in the World – Irish Architectural Archive
The Irish Architectural Archive is a charitable company which was established in 1976 to collect and preserve the records of Ireland's architectural heritage and make those records available to those
1935 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin
Architect: Leslie Norton The third Theatre Royal opened on September 23, 1935 in Hawkins Street. Designed by English architect Leslie Norton in conjunction with Dublin firm Scott & Good. It was…