The Carlton, O'Connell Street. The cinema opened on 16 April 1938 with the first film, The Awful Truth. It was built on the site of the first Carlton Cinema (1915–1936). There was seating for 1,500 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. In 1956, the cinema held the European premiere of Rock Around the Clock and it played to packed houses for three weeks. Currently vacant.
1936 – Rialto Cinema, South Circular Road, Dublin
Architect: Frederick James Macaulay Opened in November 1936 and closed in 1970. A large auditorium designed to seat 1600, meant that it was usable as a car showroom, a function it carried out for a…
The Astoria, Serpentine Avenue, Sandymount opened in 1936. This suburban cinema could hold up to 700 patrons and operated on a Sunday, which was not a regular practice at the time.The owners also rotated programming three times a week to ensure a high attendance for a one-screen cinema.It changed its name to the Ritz and later the Oscar, becoming a theatre for live performances until 1985, when it closed and was converted into a Sikh temple.
The Camden or Theatre De Luxe opened as a cinema in No. 85 Camden Street Lower on the 16th of December 1912. In its hey-day the cinema seated 1,395 patrons it ceased to operate as a cinema in 1975 and is now a hotel.
Old Dublin Cinemas – Local History Castleknock
Green Cinema, St. Stephen’s Green Curzon cinema, Abbey Street Cinema queue for ‘Love Story’ and ‘Madam X,’ Thunderbolt & Lightfoot and Fuzz Palace Cinema, Dublin T…