The 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin and Sean McDermott
Sean McDermott was one of the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising. This was a week long battle that took place in Dublin Ireland in order to free the Irish people from hundreds of years of British rule. Sean MacDermott was executed in Kilmainham Jail and buried at Arbour Hill.
The Battle of Clontarf: The Misunderstood Life and Times of Brian Boru | A Trip to Ireland
It's the 1000th anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf, the most-misunderstood battle in Irish history. Learn about the real history of the battle and the infamous Brian Boru.
Nighttown: Dublin’s Monto
The Mabbot street entrance of nighttown, before which stretches an uncobbled transiding set with skeleton tracks, red and green will-o’-the-wisps and danger signals. Rows of flimsy houses wit…
Irish Entertainment News and Gossip from Ireland and Abroad
Get the latest Irish entertainment news, featuring Irish celebrities and pop culture, film and TV, music, dance, theater, literature, and more.
Eden Quay then & now looking across the Liffey from Burgh Quay. The devastation caused by the intense artillery and incendiary bombardment can be clearly seen here. A gunboat called ‘The Helga’ was used after being anchored by the British at Sir John Rodgerson’s Quay. This area was also shelled heavily with incendiary shells from howitzers that had been brought up from Athlone earlier in the week.
Charles Stewart Parnell monument, Parnell Street, Dublin, Ireland
Charles Stewart Parnell (27 June 1846 – 6 October 1891) was an Irish Anglican landowner, nationalist political leader, land reform agitator, and the founder and leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party. He was one of the most important figures in 19th century Ireland and Great Britain and described by Prime Minister William Gladstone as the most remarkable person he had ever met.
Rialto Cinema, South circular road. The 1600-seat cinema at Rialto opened in November 1936, with the Irish premiere of Everything is Rhythm as its first feature. It closed in late 1970 or early 1971 and was taken over by Windsor Motors as a car showroom,