The Carlton, O'Connell Street. The cinema opened on 16 April 1938 with the first film, The Awful Truth. It was built on the site of the first Carlton Cinema (1915–1936). There was seating for 1,500 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. In 1956, the cinema held the European premiere of Rock Around the Clock and it played to packed houses for three weeks. Currently vacant.
404 Not Found
Corinthian Cinema, Eden Quay, 1971 The Corinthian Cinema opened in 1921. It was nicknamed the 'Ranch' because of the number of Westerns it showed. The Corinthian closed in July 1975 but in October of the same year it re-opened as a two screen cinema called the Odeon. In 1987 it changed its name yet again to the Screen. The cinema closed its doors for the final time in 1993.
Rialto Cinema, South circular road. The 1600-seat cinema at Rialto opened in November 1936, with the Irish premiere of Everything is Rhythm as its first feature. It closed in late 1970 or early 1971 and was taken over by Windsor Motors as a car showroom,
404 Not Found
The Ambassador Cinema, O'Connell Street, April 1962 Motion pictures were shown at the Rotunda in the early twentieth century and by 1915 the Rotunda Picture House was established. It was closed for rennovations in 1953 and eventually re-opened as The Ambassador Cinema in September 1954. The cinema had a stop/start existence with periodic closures until the curtain fell for the final time in 1999.