1866 medieval Steep Street from the junction with Trenchard Street
Steep Street - Host Street to Griffin Lane -road line altered and became Colston Street. 1871 Joseph Dann, chimney sweeper Edward Robins, umbrella maker John Murphy, newsagent Rosamond Holloway, marine stores John Weeks, boot maker This picture by Frost & Read of Steep Street curving away to the right was recorded five years before it was demolished and replaced by Colston street but on a different realignment.
WHITBY: Ref: 3-63 *
* “The Gardener’s Daughter” This photograph had until recently, been known as "Woman in Garden", a purely descriptive title. However, in a catalogue - "List of Photographic Studies by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe" dating from around 1900, Sutcliffe gave the above title to this image. The location of this photograph was the garden of an old cottage in the grounds of Mulgrave Castle, the home of the Marquis and Marchioness of Normanby, approximately four miles from Whitby. One of his earlier…
BECOMING A BOROUGH: Oldham in the 1880s. The Local Government Act 1888 created elected county councils to administer services throughout England and Wales. Where a municipal borough had a population of more than 50,000 at the 1881 Census it was created a county borough, with the powers and duties of both a borough and county council. As Oldham had an 1881 population of 111,343 it duly became a county borough on 1st April 1889.