British Officers pose at The Parnell Monument with the captured Irish Republic flag that was hung from the GPO during Easter Week. The flag was placed in the Imperial War Museum in London until 1966 when it was returned to mark the 50th anniversary of the Rising.
Eden Quay then & now looking across the Liffey from Burgh Quay. The devastation caused by the intense artillery and incendiary bombardment can be clearly seen here. A gunboat called ‘The Helga’ was used after being anchored by the British at Sir John Rodgerson’s Quay. This area was also shelled heavily with incendiary shells from howitzers that had been brought up from Athlone earlier in the week.
Dublin 1916 Then & Now - Pictures from the 1916 Rising
All the text and photographs below have been compiled by Derek Molyneux and his daughter Shannon. Well done to them both, they have and are doing outstanding work in remembering the 1916 Rising. The Irish Volunteers Commemorative Organisation are thankful for their support and we congratulate them on a great work in progress.. Derek
In pictures: Revolutionary Ireland 1913-1923
Major new photographic exhibition shows the bloody reality of life in Ireland from the 1913 Lockout to the tortured birth of the Republic.