Description Black and white photographic print mounted on board depicting people dressed in costumes with oversized heads as girls in dresses and boys in knickers gathered at a parking lot on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue and W Ferry Street during the Thanksgiving Parade. Two people, one dressed as a boy and the other as a reindeer, sit next to each other on the curb. In the background is the Richard Cohn Building on the campus of Wayne State University. Date 1973
Auditorium ornamented as the Toy Department, at The J.L. Hudson Company Department Store. The perimeter of the auditorium is heavily ornamented with scenes from nursery rhymes and other childhood characters including Mother Goose and Popeye the Sailor Man. Three dimensional animals are affixed to the pilasters and project outward. Kiosks displayed throughout the department feature differing types of toys including board games, wood block sets, Disney themed games, darts, and checkers [ca. 1940s
Campus Martius who are watching the soldiers march southward along Woodward Avenue. Handwritten note on verso of photo states, ”World War I, 1917-1918; Campus Martius, Detroit, Mich.” Hudson’s and Kern’s department stores as well as the Detroit Opera House are visible in the upper left background area of the photo. The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument is visible in the center background.
Gratiot Avenue, likely while leaning out of a window on Hudson’s south face, facing northeast toward Farmer Street. Hudson’s is on the left edge of the photo, Ettlinger’s is on the right, and the Partridge and Blackwell Building containing Crowley-Milner stands straight ahead. Lippetts Drug Store and the Greenfields Cafeteria are in the lower levels of Ettlinger’s. The sidewalks are crowded with pedestrians.
J.L. Hudson Company Department Store. The Children’s Toy Department is ornamented with holiday decorations, and many differing types of toys for young children are featured including baby carriages, child-sized chairs, a roll-top desk, and porcelain dolls. Teddy bears and Scotty dogs are visible in the left background. Christmas trees and images of people on sleigh rides ornament the perimeter of the department.
Windsor firemen who are standing beside the open door of Windsor Fire Department Engine No. 7. The engine is parked in the street and a small hose can be seen in the center area of the image. A bowling alley and Standard Oil gas station are visible in the background. Handwriting on the verso shows ”picture of Windsor Fire Dept., Detroit riot, July 1967.”
Dexter Avenue just north of Lawrence Street as seen in the aftermath of the riot that began in the early morning of July 23, 1967. The photo shows several pedestrians, cars on the street, apartment buildings, stores, and a telephone booth. St. Paul A.M.E. Zion church can be seen at the far right side of the photo. Some litter can been seen along the sidewalk.