cinemas dublin

Collection by Robbie Fogarty

22 
Pins
 • 
7 
Followers
Embedded image permalink

Old DublinTown. com on Twitter

Embedded image permalink

The Theatre Royal Dublin 1959. Judy Garland played the Theatre Royal, wowing punters who couldn’t get tickets by singing from her dressing room window. And Danny Kaye was fondly remembered for many years by the taxi drivers of Dublin. He sang so many encores that everyone missed the last bus home.

The Theatre Royal Dublin 1959. Judy Garland played the Theatre Royal, wowing punters who couldn’t get tickets by singing from her dressing room window. And Danny Kaye was fondly remembered for many years by the taxi drivers of Dublin. He sang so many encores that everyone missed the last bus home.

Known originally as the Grafton Picture House, the cinema opened on Easter Monday, 11 April 1911.  Dublin received its first presentation of "talking pictures" in April 1914 when Thomas Edison's Kinetophone technology was demonstrated at the Grafton. In late 1913 or early 1914. In November 1973 the cinema was sold for £400,000,On 1 December, its fifteen staff were made redundant and the Grafton Cinema closed its doors for the last time.

Old B&W Photos Of Dublin - Part 1 - Page 75 - Dublinforum.net

Page 75- Old B&W Photos Of Dublin - Part 1 Arts & Culture

The Oxford cinema (also called the New Oxford) on Oxford Street, formerly The Picture House, in September 1972. [3887]

Oxford cinema, 1972

The Oxford cinema (also called the New Oxford) on Oxford Street, formerly The Picture House, in September 1972. [3887]

Opened in 1953 as the Kenilworth with a huge 1,115-seater auditorium, the cinema was subdivided into two screens in the 1970s and reopened as the Classic. In latter years it was best known for its late-night screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. The Classic closed in 2003.

Dublin used to have 56 different cinemas. Here are some of the lost ones.

Practically every little suburb had its own cinema. Is yours still there?

On 17 April 1949, the Cabra Grand Cinema on Quarry Road was formally opened. The Lord Mayor of Dublin, John Breen, opened the 1,600 seat cinema by cutting a tricolour ribbon with a pair of gold scissors.

Old B&W Photos Of Dublin - Part 1 - Page 75 - Dublinforum.net

Page 75- Old B&W Photos Of Dublin - Part 1 Arts & Culture

The Stella Cinema, Deerpark Road, Mount Merrion Dublin 1970

The Stella Cinema, Deerpark Road, Mount Merrion Dublin 1970

The former 1,200 Grand Cinema in the Dublin suburb of Drumcondra opened on 19th August 1934. It closed on 24th March 1968. Converted into a supermarket with the total loss of its original street facade.

1934 – Grand Cinema, Drumcondra, Dublin

The former 1,200 Grand Cinema in the Dublin suburb of Drumcondra opened on 19th August 1934. It closed on 24th March 1968. Converted into a supermarket with the total loss of its original street fa…

The Pavillion cinema Dun Laoghaire c.1950. Ceased operating as a cinema in 1974, demolished 1984.

The Pavillion cinema Dun Laoghaire c.1950. Ceased operating as a cinema in 1974, demolished 1984.