Similar ideas popular now
Named after the legendary “Scott of the Antarctic”, Scott’s Hut is located on the north shore of Cape Evans on Ross Island in Antarctica. It was built in 1911 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910–1913 (Terra Nova Expedition) led by Robert Falcon Scott. Insulation for the 50 feet long hut was provided by seaweed sewn into a quilt, placed between double-planked inner and outer walls. Ironically, Terra Nova expeditioners described the hut as being warm to the point of uncomfortable....