Last updated 13 hours ago
In 1859, Rufus H. (Potato) Clark homesteaded the area now known as the Overland Golf Course. In 1883, the promoters of Denver Circle Railroad bought the farm and built a race track. In 1887, the park was sold to a group looking for a site for a country club. The racing park was renamed Overland Park. Henry Wolcott bought out the other members and took over the park. He introduced the game of golf to Denver, and developed a nine-hole course circling the race track.
Built in the 1940s as an annex on the south side of the 1908 City Auditorium, the Denver Auditorium Arena (now the Buell Theatre) as viewed from the intersection of 14th and Champa Streets has changed over the years, but it was always used for performing or spectating, from housing the Denver Rockets (precursor to the Nuggets) to hosting Led Zeppelin's American debut in 1968.